Garlic Scape Pesto
- 10 garlic scapes, chopped
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan (to taste and texture)
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds (try toasting them lightly)
- About 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
- Small piece of unsalted butter
- Place garlic scapes in a food processor and blend.Add almonds and blend until smooth.
- Add cheese, half the olive oil, and butter.
- Add the remainder of the oil and, if desired, more cheese until desired consistency is achieved.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Use additional oil for a thinner pesto.
If you're not going to use the pesto immediately, pour a small amount of olive oil over the top of the pesto and press a piece of plastic against the surface to keep it from oxidizing. The pesto can be stored in the refrigerator for a couple of days or packed airtight and frozen for a couple of months.
Recipe submitted by Farmer Dave's